It’s that time of the year again when kids of all ages are heading back to school. As parents and school goers prepare for another busy school year, now is a great time to also prepare your vehicle and make sure it is in top form!
Here are some back to school car maintenance tips for you:
1. Be Prepared! Make sure your vehicle is stocked up with all of its basic needs and safety equipment. This includes a flash light and extra batteries, jumper cables, a pair of gloves, your cars manual (which should always be in your glove compartment) a tire pressure gauge, a first aid kit and some water bottles and granola bars!
2. Never ignore basic car maintenance. It is very important to keep up with your vehicles basic maintenance because this will make your vehicle last longer and keep it running properly. This means keeping up to date with oil changes and rotating your vehicles tires. Make sure to check all of your vehicle’s fluid levels such as engine oil, brake fluid, coolant and windshield washer fluid. Top off any fluids if they are low.
3. Read your vehicle’s owner manual. Do you remember the last time you looked at your cars owner manual? It’s important to read this information so you can understand your car better and know what is recommended for your car. Our vehicles come with an owners manual for a reason. Many major repairs can even be prevented by following the instructions in your cars owner manual.
4. Keep your vehicle clean. How many times have your cleaned out your car only to find it a total mess again?! With busy every day schedules, it is very easy to just throw things into your car and leave them there for months on end. Keeping your vehicle clean and organized is important! There are bins that you can purchase at your local store and keep them in the trunk for organizing things. Make sure to keep your car safety equipment all together and separate from everything else.
5. Get to know your vehicle. Parents and their kids should all get to know and understand their vehicle as much as possible. Pay attention to the sounds that your vehicle makes. This way, you will recognized any unfamiliar sounds it may start to make. Everyone should know where their cars safety equipment and owners manual is stored.
Follow these 5 easy back to school car maintenance steps and your car will be in tip top shape, just like you!